I don’t
care when you read this. Just wait 10 years before you read it. If you forget, that’s fine; I hope you’re smart enough
to do these things anyway. If you remember, read it, and please take these
words to heart.
You are loved by Jesus. He loves you so much. Personally,
intimately, beautifully. You are loved by the creator of the mountains, of the
stars, of laughter, of toes, of sunshine, of clouds, and of grass and the sea.
You are a good person. Not good as in, “Oh, I help
people, so I’m a good person.” No, you are good.
You weren’t a mistake. You never were, even when you were so sure you were.
When you get insomnia, you are good. When
you cry over even imagining sad circumstances happening to you or your loved
ones, you are good. When your heart
skips a few beats as you picture twirling with Jesus in an open field
surrounded by trees, you are good. When you decide to not be social, it's okay. You are good.
You are living life now. Life didn't come after
high school, after college, or after quitting that dead-end job. No, it was already happening then, and it is happening now. Life doesn’t stop for anybody, so stop thinking that it will
arrive after you accomplish different things. You are living it now. Enjoy it.
Now, on
to the advice. It’s scary to give advice, but since you hold a piece of who I
am now, I think you will know what I mean when I say these things.
Love. And not just people. Love every
ray of light, every shadow on the wall, every grass blade, every moment, even
those that involve school work, your job, or thinking about the future.
Forgive. People, like you, are imperfect.
They will make mistakes. Don’t rely on them for your happiness. Show them
instead the happiness that Jesus has given you. Forgive them. They have their
problems, just like you. Love them anyway, or else you will be lonely.
Do what you want with your life.
Now that you are a follower of Jesus, your desires are becoming His desires.
Whatever you want to do, pursue it. Ask for His help. Whether that is music
therapy, becoming a missionary, going on short-term trips, going on long-term
trips, playing your harp at weddings, becoming a counselor, or becoming a veterinarian. Experience
life, do what makes you happy, and don’t let anyone stop you from going there.
If what
you are doing now doesn’t make you happy, don’t leave it all behind and run
away from who you have become. I hope my saying that doesn’t surprise you too
much. Serve the Lord through whatever you are doing. Things won’t make you happy;
He will. So if you’re not happy, it’s not His fault. It’s not your job’s fault.
It’s yours.
Be smart with your money. Yes, I am giving you money
advice. Do not spend money on frivolous items. Give it to poor children, to the
weak, to the homeless. Give more than you are comfortable with. Save the rest.
Save it so you can travel, and pursue your dreams. Never hold out on God,
though. He is more important than any dream you could ever have in life.
Find someone that will love you
for you. You
have some great people in your life presently, but that may change in a few
years. When they are gone, promise me you won’t hide. Promise me you won’t hide
behind the pain of either you hurting them or them hurting you. Continue on
with Jesus, and allow people in. Be vulnerable. Be open. Be free.
Hopefully
you will get married someday. Hopefully you have a Godly man who knows what it
means to be a leader. Please marry your best friend. Don’t get caught up on JUST
emotions, because they will screw you up before you can say, “I love you, too.” Don’t ignore them, but promise me, that you won’t go with someone that only
makes you feel a “tingle inside.” That will go, but then what will be left?
Don’t
forget where you came from. Thank the Lord every day, for at least 10 things.
Keep a journal. Keep up your journals. Read old journals. Remember who you
were, and thank Him that you are changing.
I love
you, and I can’t wait to see who you become.
Love,
15-year-old you.
Awww, Evelyn!!! =') That sent tingles down my spine, reading that. A 26-year-old you is sure fortunate to have such a younger version of herself. x)
ReplyDeleteAw wow! Didn't know I could do that. xD Thank you, thank you! :)
Delete