Oh, how many things are
there to conceive yet in my life?
God has been showing
me that it’s okay to have fun; to have fun with friends and be bold with them.
That’s how you get further in a relationship with them. So that’s exactly what
I’ve been doing with the kiddos at youth group.
I had a blast
yesterday, letting myself fly free with everyone. I felt like some saw me with
new eyes. I joked, laughed, made fun of (only Tiffany ;), ate delicious ice
cream, and it was a blast.
But looking back,
once again, it was not fulfilling. This was the second week in a row we did not
read the Bible. The reward for going to youth group was only an increase in
popularity. Greater rewards are in store for extending myself to others, but
the overall trip was not spiritually fulfilling. I am trying to limit myself
from doing things that don’t end in productivity; an increase in knowledge,
whether of myself, Jesus, or others; or Jesus himself.
Jesus was a teenager.
This astounds me. He started his Work on earth in his 30s. What did he do as a
teenager? I wonder if he prayed a lot. I wonder if he cried. Did people make
fun of him? Did he have a lot of friends? Did God ever speak to him? How?
I know he was in the
temple, preaching to the Pharisees, but that was as a kid. What was he like
during puberty… oh my gosh, I wonder how Mary and Joseph felt! Did he ever make
fun of his friends? Did he and his friends go off on crazy adventures?
Sadly, I don’t think
these questions will ever be answered. Sometimes I wish the Bible discussed
more about his youth.
There is a reason for
this, surprisingly.
Jesus wants us to
mature in Him. He doesn’t want us to stick to our old habits, our old ways.
Constantly changing, but never ceasing to have a child-like faith. I think
about when Jesus says to be like children, but mature in our faith. Both are
such pure statements.
Even behind the
reasoning, even behind the clear evidence of God’s desire for our maturity in
Him, if I had the opportunity to ask God one question today that would have a
straight answer, it would be this: What were you like as a teenager?
That is awesome. x)
ReplyDelete