Monday, August 13, 2012

A Servant Life

I'm really psyched, because at camp, God confirmed a desire in my heart. For the longest time I've been fascinated in missions. I love the idea of giving it all up for Him, and to just live in really bleak-looking conditions, but still be clapping and dancing for Jesus. Those people move me in ways I can't express. But I can't just start by doing that. I need to start smaller, muuuch smaller.

When Ed was speaking, he asked those interested in missions to stand up; he had a special message for those wanting to do missions. I stood up (From what I saw, I was the only girl who did!!) and he said these words that I'll never forget: He said that missions is about serving, and before we go overseas, we must learn to serve people in our homes and to love them. When he said that, the rest of what he said went straight over my head. I just kept chewing on that, and I realized I haven't been, and I'm going to make some slight tweaks to my routine in order to have this play out.

This message finally made it down to my heart the day after camp. An argument was started, (I know right? What a kill-joy. -_-) because I wanted a certain family member to understand my feelings. And she didn't. But the thing was, it didn't matter if she did or not. That's her problem, and it's not up to me. I just needed to respond appropriately, be a big person, and drop the issue. But did I? No sire, I did not! My desire for being understood and my desire for having a friend overtook the main thing of it all: I need to be a servant. God is my friend, and when I am a servant to others despite the tough circumstances, I bring glory to Him. And that's all that matters.

So the joy returned. Ed Newton said these exact words: "Joy is conquering reality." And I'm beginning to realize that. And the happiness is back, and life is back to being vibrant. No circumstances have changed; The only thing that has changed is me. And that's pretty cool.

I'm pleased that God did a big work in me before I ever experienced camp, and that He opened up my ears before camp. I think the message will stick with me for a long, long time now. I'm glad that I don't have to rely on going to camp once a year for my faith, but can live out a big story with God every day, if I let Him. I was scared I might forget, but my heart has retained a lot. x)

For a souvenir, I bought a book filled with 31 Bible verses about being Audacious, which was the theme of camp. And my goal is to understand and memorize them all. I've memorized 3 so far!

Mark 13:33 - Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.

1 Peter 2:9 - But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of Him who has called you out of darkness into His wonderful light.

Leviticus 11:45 - I am the Lord who brought you up out of Egypt to be your God; therefore, be holy because I am holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment