Friday, January 20, 2012

Everyone has needs

I saw a special needs man packing our groceries in the super market. And I don't know... but something inside of me just wanted to treat him different. You know? Extra special. I wanted to make his day. But a little voice whispered inside of me, "Why?"
Why would I want to make his day? There are other people I know that I carry a normal conversation with, while I have no consideration of how I'm making that person feel or of anyone else I'm talking about!
And you know, those thoughts sickened me. I mean... why don't we have those same feelings for other people?! I don't know about you, but I feel it necessary to be extra kind to the special needs people. Why!
We should be kind to everyone. God calls us to be not just a light to the poor, the broken, the ones with special needs... but to everyone. He may emphasize the poor, broken, and needy, but we should be kind to everyone... even when it's hard. To those who may hate us. To those who may love us. To the ones that are hard to love; the ones that make us angry. Why should we treat anyone as inferior, or even superior to ourselves? We are nothing! Who was I to think such thoughts? I am a nobody. Who am I to judge others! We all need Jesus.

I prayed about it, and I realized that I need my actions to match up with my belief. It's time to stop preaching. It's time to get off of my little 'soap box,' and go out into the world! (Mark 16:15)

We may be the only Bible some people read.

So the point of this whole post is... to let you all know that everyone has needs. We should start being nice to those that live with us 24/7... like our family. We are called to be lights everywhere. It's more than just giving to the poor, and helping the needy. This is something much bigger. Jesus meant something more when he said be kind to those who can't repay you. He meant everybody. Like it or not, it's true. The next person you talk to, make it a goal to show Christ's love. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Now, this may seem like an out of reach goal. But we aren't perfect. And some days, that's going to show a lot. That's okay. Keep trying. Keep pressing. Keep pushing to be a light. It's the most important thing you will ever try to do. And God will see your efforts and see your hard work, and help you out.

He always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment