I have this friend. I only know she is a Christian because she asked God into her heart when she was 5, like me. Nothing is shown in her life of a longing, or even a slight interest.I bet you're thinking, "But she believes in God! She is still going to heaven, right?" Well here's the harsh truth. Even the demons believe in God! (James 2:19)
There has to be a constant pursuit, or a longing at least. And I am truly sorry, but if you just say that Jesus is Lord, that won't get you, or her, anywhere.
Many say that salvation can't be earned. That is very, very, very true! You can't earn salvation whatsoever. But there needs. to be. an interest. And even if you don't have a longing now, it can be built. And in order to build that longing, there needs to be a Bible near you.
Now, my favorite books of the Bible are Romans, Ephesians, James, Isaiah, (well, some of Isaiah... I haven't read all of it.), Proverbs and Psalms. They have really guided me and changed my whole perspective of God.
These may seem overwhelming, so I'd say start with Romans. It clearly tells you how to live a strong, Christian faith and how you can tell God is working in you, even when things seemed hopeless. Start with Chapter 1. Read a Chapter a day. Did you know it's referred to as the, "Romans Road to Salvation?" The book of Romans is the easiest way to become a Christian for yourself, build a pursuit of God, and witness to other people about Him.
But don't think you need to start doing good works and try being perfect out of duty. Our good works are like manure heaps to Jesus. (Isaiah 64:6) He doesn't care what we do, because it won't get us a good relationship with Him or bring us to heaven. He just wants us to fall in love with Him- the rest comes naturally. He wants us to love everyone as we love ourselves.
All God wants is a relationship with us. Isn't that beautiful?
No comments:
Post a Comment